Blizzard Challenge 2019 Workshop
The Blizzard Challenge 2019 workshop is a satellite event of SSW10.
Call for participation
The Blizzard Challenge 2019 Workshop is the culmination of the Blizzard Challenge 2019 which is an open speech synthesis evaluation campaign using common data sets and a large listening test. The aims of the workshop are to present the results from the listening tests and for participants in the Challenge to describe their systems.
Who can attend the workshop ?
The workshop is open to all and we encourage participation from anyone interested in speech synthesis. However, please follow the registration procedure below.
Who can submit a paper to the workshop ?
All participants in the Challenge are required to submit a paper describing their entry. Papers will be refereed by the organisers and the Blizzard Challenge Committee
Organisers of the 2019 challenge
- Zhizheng Wu
- Zhihang Xie
- Simon King, University of Edinburgh, UK
Blizzard Challenge committee
- Simon King, University of Edinburgh, UK
- Alan W. Black, Carnegie Mellon University, USA
- Keiichi Tokuda, Nagoya Institute of Technology, Japan
- Michael Pucher
Paper submission instructions
- Use the Interspeech 2019 authors' kit, but your paper should be SIX pages in length, including bibliography
- Remember that Blizzard is a scientific investigation - we are all trying to understand why some techniques work better than others.
- With this in mind, please write a detailed, technical paper aimed at a specialist audience. Focus on analysis and evaluation. Try to explain WHY your system performed the way it did, and what makes it different from other systems. Explain why your system is designed in a particular way. For example, report internal evaluations you have done to select certain methods.
- Submit your paper by email to email@example.com by the deadline given in the official timeline and we will notify you of acceptance within a week. If you need an earlier notification (e.g., in order to obtain travel permission from your employer), then please contact us.
Location and date
Same venue as SSW10
Date: Monday 23rd September 2019
Workshop starts 9am
The workshop format is single-track with oral presentations from the participants in the Challenge, and the organizers.
PROVISIONAL AND LIKELY TO BECOME SHORTER SLOTS DUE TO LARGE NUMBER OF ENTRIES : Each system presentation slot is 20 minutes and presenters should speak for 15 minutes to allow time for questions and changeover. Presenters should bear in mind that the audience will mainly comprise speech synthesis experts; therefore presentations do not need to include extensive background material, but should focus on technical detail and go deep in to the specifics of each system. Please bring your own laptop to present, and a video adapter if you need one.
Presentations must include plenty of audio examples to illustrate the strengths and weaknesses of the system!
The venue this year is a conference facility very generously provided by the SSW10 organisers.
The programme will be something like this:
- 09.00 registration
- 09.30 - 10.00 Welcome, introduction, summary of results
- 10.00 - 11.00 System presentations
- 11.00 - 11.30 Break
- 11.30 - 12.30 System presentations
- 12.30 - 13.30 Lunch
- 13.30 - 14.30 System presentations
- 14.30 - 15.00 Break
- 15.00 - 16.00 System presentations
- 16.00 Closing remarks
Registration procedure and letters of invitation
- If you are registered for SSW10 then you may attend the Blizzard Challenge 2019 without further registration - simply bring your SSW10 badge with you.
- If you are attending the Blizzard Challenge 2019 without registering for SSW10, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to register.
|Events you are attending||How to register||Who can provide an invitation letter|
|Interspeech, SSW, Blizzard||No additional registration needed||Interspeech|
|SSW, Blizzard||No additional registration needed||SSW|
|Blizzard email@example.comfirstname.lastname@example.org (*)|
(*) when requesting a letter of invitation, please explain that you are only attending the Blizzard Workshop and therefore cannot get an invitation letter from Interspeech or SSW.
There is no cost to attend the Blizzard Workshop, thanks to our generous sponsors (TBC).
Accommodation and travel
No accommodation is arranged by the workshop: please make your own arrangements.